Every year Up The Creek employs a Summer-season Assistant Manager to help run the business during the crazy busy times. This position is facilitated by the Canada Summer Jobs program, so is only open to Canadian adults up to age 30. If you think you’ve got what it takes, see below for our full job description.
Additionally, Up The Creek offers all travellers and adventurers the chance to stay longer by helping out with the various tasks required to run the business, in return for free accommodation. This is not a paid position, so you don’t need a work visa. This opportunity is available year-round, but is not available to persons without an off-Coast residential address. Foreign nationals welcome.
Assistant Youth Hostel Manager- Summer 2023
Duties of The Assistant Youth Hostel Manager:
- Clear and concise communication with customers with enthusiasm and understanding, at any time of day or night, via email, Facebook, text and telephone.
- Providing tourist information specific to the region to all customers.
- Familiarity with multiple online booking platforms (Expedia, Little Hotelier, Air B&B etc) and their use on desktop and mobile devices
- Familiarity with Internet technology and the use of Apps such as Whats App, SMS, Quickbooks, Google Maps, Facebook, Instagram, Google Drive, Skype, SCCU online banking, TrailMapps, Excel/Pages, Word and many more.
- Finely tuned Interpersonal skills able to deal with a wide variety of customers including reserved customers, walk-in customers, telephone and text enquiries, emails, complaint procedures.
- Maintaining simple house rules around smoking, toking, noise, fire use, recycling etc
- Engagement in existing and new marketing opportunities, incentive programs, community engagement and support.
- Managing all financial aspects of the business including issue of receipts, invoicing, paying bills, collation of Accounts Payable receipts for submission to bookkeeper, banking (online).
- Recognition of minor building defects and maintenance required, including weekly lawn mowing, refinishing painted and stained surfaces, plumbing/electrical, firewood supply and more.
- Overseeing volunteers providing 20 hours of janitorial and maintenance services
- Janitorial services when Volunteer staff not on duty, to keep all 18 bed spaces, rooms, bathrooms, kitchens and common areas of the property in clean and tidy condition, including laundry with year-round air-dry facility only.
- Removal of recycling, green waste, excess materials, etc to off-site locations using the provided vehicles.
Job Supervision, Mentorship and Skills Development
- The Assistant Manager will be closely supervised, especially during the initial 4 weeks, by Martin Prestage, owner and operator of Up The Creek for 19 years. Martin has extensive experience in the training, mentoring and supervision of countless Work & Stay volunteers since 2010, and Assistant Managers employed during the last 5 years.
- Supervision will occur on a daily basis, at the location of the business, carried out in an informal nature but with check lists and project descriptions in written format
- At the onset of the contract, specific areas of required training will be identified by discussion between the owner and Assistant Manager, and a mentorship plan adopted accordingly.
- Enhancement of new and learned skills will form part of the 10 week program.
Job Qualifications & conditions
- Applicants must be under 30 years of age (Canada Summer Jobs requirement)
- Proven knowledge of the Sunshine Coast regionâl tourism assets
- Proven experience within the hospitality industry, minimum 3 years.
- Preferred qualification in social sciences, recreation management or tourism.
- Full car license
- Fluent in English, and preferred second language- French or Spanish
- Non-smoker, no drug use, no pet ownership.
- Ability to share suite with owner of business (private bedroom but shared bathroom and kitchen)
- Work schedule to be agreed with owner each week
- Term: 10 weeks commencing 24th June, completion 2nd September 2022
- 30 hours per week at $20/hr on payroll, with free accommodation supplied for an additional 10 hours/week. Please note that living on site is part of the job conditions, and is not optional.
- No vacation pay
How to Apply:
Pleases send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
How to become a Work Stay Volunteer?
- Make a normal booking or merely turn up, pay for a minimum of three night’s accommodation, and if you like what Roberts Creek has to offer, inquire about the possibility of our “work and stay” program. This will be totally at our discretion, subject to availability and suitability.
- Alternatively, contact us via email with details of your request i.e. length of stay, skills sets, contact information. Then, after a short video chat, your accommodation will be confirmed and is guaranteed for a minimum of 2 weeks duration.
We will require a credit card number with a two week $150 cancellation charge applying, as we will be relying upon your agreed work. Of course, no charges will be made if you arrive as planned.
What you can expect:
- 4 hours (or 6 for two people) of work per day, 5 days a week (around 10-2pm – including most weekends) = 20 hours/week (30 hours/week for two people)
- Work duties will include: cleaning, gardening, building maintenance, lawn care, painting, planting, pruning, chopping/stacking firewood, fruit harvest, bike cleaning, and various related projects. If you have a specific skill set, please tell us when you make your booking so that we can put your skills to best use.
- In exchange, you’ll receive free accommodation in a 14’ travel trailer, located in the garden – equipped with a kitchen, bed, heater, wifi, but no bathroom.
- We may accept additional volunteers, a volunteer may receive a dorm-bed in exchange for work.
- From November to February, the volunteer will be asked to move inside to a dorm-bed.
- The volunteer will have access to all lodge common areas and amenities during their stay.
Past Work & Stay volunteer hosts
“My time at Up the Creek was marked by raking thousands of leaves (I’m convinced Martin shook the tree each morning), learning how to chop wood, and exploring the beautiful Sunshine Coast. Within a week, Roberts Creek felt like home. I love the unique and welcoming environment that Martin has created at Up the Creek. I am thankful for the opportunity to volunteer at such a special place!”
“My time at Up the Creek was marked by raking thousands of leaves (I’m convinced Martin shook the tree each morning), learning how to chop wood, and exploring the beautiful Sunshine Coast. Within a week, Roberts Creek felt like home – the area filled with lovely people and stunning scenery. I love the unique and welcoming environment that Martin has created at Up the Creek. I am thankful for the opportunity to volunteer at such a special place!”
“My time at Up the Creek was marked by raking thousands of leaves (I’m convinced Martin shook the tree each morning), learning how to chop wood, and exploring the beautiful Sunshine Coast. Within a week, Roberts Creek felt like home – the area is filled with lovely people and stunning scenery. I love the unique and welcoming environment that Martin has created at Up the Creek. It was awesome getting to know the staff and customers. Everyone has a story worth telling, and I am grateful to have met so many amazing people. I am thankful for the opportunity to volunteer at such a special place! Hoping to come back soon.”
- Mel Magel (Oct 2020)
“I rocked up for a 3 night stay, and when my flight home to Australia was cancelled for the 3rd time, Martin offered me the chance to stay on for free and work. The garden plan helped out, and gave me flexibility to work, stay and play.”
- Johnny Vickers (Sep 2020)
“I completely overcame my fear of spiders at Up The Creek, after Martin had us replacing that underfloor insulation.”
— Choirie and Noah (UK), June 10
“Had an awesome time at Up The Creek, on the Work and Stay program. Martin’s a legend for allowing me to stay as long as I have. Worked on a lot of different projects during my stay. That’s one thing Martin’s never short of. Projects.”
— Wil McCauley (Australia), Dec 2012
“From the paint on my face to the dirt under my fingernails, I loved every second of my work & stay experience.”
— Julia (Germany), Dec 2012
“For us it was the perfect interlude in a sleepy little area on the Sunshine Coast. There are plenty of things to do if you are interested in outdoor pursuits…”
— Kate and Ben (Australia), Feb 10
“Each week I’d fill up even more bags of garden waste, filling the UTC van to the brim.”
— Ritake (Belgium), Oct 10
Martin always seems to have wood to move from one place to another!!
— Jane (New Zealand) & Tom (UK)